Technically, “Roma” has more Oscar Experts at Gold Derby predicting it to win Best Picture (9) than “A Star Is Born” (7), but the films are tied for first place with 7/1 odds because the Bradley Cooper/ Lady Gaga musical is consistently ranked a bit higher among all 20 Oscarologists projecting 8 to 10 nominees in the category.
Only one other flick gets ranked first, too: “First Man” (15/2 odds) has support of four pundits. See all of the latest Best Picture rankings by our 20 Experts.
“Roma,” Alfonso Cauron‘s artsy-indie tribute to his childhood in Mexico, has been in a virtual tie with “A Star Is Born” for the past month while Gold Derby’s Experts made frequent changes that usually resulted in the rival films retaining equal numbers of Experts predicting them to prevail, or at least giving them equal odds.
Over the past month, “Green Book” and “The Favourite” climbed up to four and fifth places after receiving standing ovations and wild cheers at the Toronto Film Festival, bumping “If Beale Street Could Talk” and “BlacKkKlansman” down to sixth and seven rungs. Meantime, throughout it all,, “Black Panther has deftly and coolly held on in seventh place.
The nine Oscarologists riding “Roma” in the Best Picture race: Anne Thompson (Indiewire), Adnan Virk (ESPN), Susan Wloszczyna and Thelma Adams (Gold Derby), Andrea Mandell (USA Today), Claudia Puig (KPCC), Jeffrey Wells (Hollywood Elsewhere), Scott Mantz (Collider) and Tariq Khan (Fox TV).
- Netflix to debut ‘Roma’ in 100+ theaters concurrent with web release
- How will ‘First Man’ take off at the Oscars?
- Oscar Best Picture race: ‘Roma’ and ‘A Star Is Born’ are tied for lead with 7/1 odds
- He will rock you: Rami Malek (‘Bohemian Rhapsody’) breaks out as a leading Oscar rival for Best Actor
- Oscar predictions slugfest over Best Actor: Pete Hammond vs. Anne Thompson vs. Tom O’Neil [Video & Audio Podcast]
- Oscar category confusion bedevils ‘The Favourite’ stars: Should Olivia Colman go for lead race?
- ‘Car Trouble’: New novel by Gold Derby Emmy Expert Robert Rorke
- ‘Game of Thrones’ reclaimed its crown in a dramatic coup at the Emmys
- Gold Derby Editor Tom O’Neil’s fearless,100% perfect, infallible, brilliant Emmy predictions
- Emmy predictions slugfest: Gold Derby editors Tom O’Neil vs. Paul Sheehan (Everybody, duck!) [PODCAST]
1A Star Is Born10/1
9If Beale Street Could Talk11/1
- Updated on: 15 Oct 18, 22:56 pm PT